Monday, February 23, 2009

Thoughts on Thoughts

"Today in class as we graded each others tests, Dr. Sexson said the exam grades are not as important as our blogging grades. Well shit, that doesn't leave much room for me; most of my blogs have nothing to do directly with the readings or discussions, rather interesting points or topics that hit me on a personal level. I mean, when the class first started I was under the impression that our blogs were OUR blogs and we could write what WE wanted. I am not saying I am not allowed to manage my blog at my own discretion, but rather that I might not recieve the same grades as someone who just does reading responses as opposed to short stories. We are both engaged in the material and are both trying to uncover a deeper meaning, but because mine seems more conceptual or creatively based I don't have as good as a blog? Well i got sour news for ya jack! it is as good! I feel engaged in the material and by my taking the ideas given in class and shaping them to a personal level, the story comes alive".

This quote came from Sam Roloff's blog, and is in fact his latest blog entry. There are a few reasons why I wanted to post this here.

First, I wanted to say, Sam, thank you. You effectively expressed my exact sentiments regarding the blogs in general. Your insight, regardless of how correct or incorrect it is, aligns with how I feel. How am I supposed to touch upon relevant readings from class when this is supposed to be MY blog? Prof. Sexson gives us very interesting ideas to write about, though they tend to cause me to stray farther and farther off topic (which I love).

Second, I haven't been keeping up with my blogs as well as other people. Does that mean I haven't been paying attention, No. What it means is, I (at first) failed to realize exactly how important blogging really is. Once I wrote my first post, I was shocked by the feeling it gave me. I liked it, I really did.

Third, the fact that blogging is more important than the exam grades is an interesting concept, and plays with some sort of funky scholastic role reversal I am unaccustomed to, though I like the root of the idea. Blogging serves the purpose of letting me let loose as a writer, and to get the jumbled thoughts from my head into writing, where they are more useful.

Now if I can learn by the example of Nick Axline, who's blog flourishes with an all encompassing coverage of the texts, discussions, and personal anecdotes, then I would really be in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment